The Mysore district which is well-known for many historical places, as to its credit many historical churches. Under Mysore Diocese of four districts of Mysore, Mandya, Coorg and Chamarajanagara there are dozens of historical churches.
Among all, St Anne’s Church situated at Virajpet, is one of the oldest church which has a history of 219-years. According to Father Arogya Swamy the church belongs to 18th century. The first church was constructed in 1792 and later the present church is built in 1869 in Gothic style with the help of British Government.
The specialty of this 150 feet tall church is the six feet Panchaloha cross, which has brought from Paris. The church was constructed by french missionary father Guillone, and King Veera Rajendra. The present Archeology Museum at Madikeri, was earlier an Anglican Church built by Ror A Fennel in side the fort with Gothic Style. This is said to be 400-year-old church.
Two century old churches
* The Immaculate Conception Church situated at Ganjam, Srirangapatna was constructed in 1800 AD by a French Missionary Abbe Bubois. The specialty of this church is its houses a 200-year-old statue of Mother Marry and has a Indian and Western combined structure.
* Our Lady of Assumption Church at Pandavapura, built during the period of Tippu Sultan in gothic Style. Earlier Pandavapura was called as Hirode. Father David say it might be constructed in1869.
* St Anthony's Shrine at Doornahalli has a history of two centuries. The miraculous shrine of St Anthony was found to farmer 200 years ago, when he was ploughing the land.
* St Johns The Baptist Church at Palhalli, Mandya District constructed at 1859, after the demolition of 17th century old church and Sacred Heart Church in Nagavalli Village, Chamarajanagar was constructed in 1906. Hardwick Church is another old church located in Mysore.
In Mysore District, St Philomeans Church and St Bartholomew’s Church were built when the British were ruling India. St Philomena's Church which is the longest church in the country has a history of 139 years and has housed a relic of St Philomena. The foundation for the new church was laid by Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV and has been built in neo-gothic style.
St Barholomew's Church which has a history of 177 years old was built by European residents in 1835. The land was gifted by Mysore King Krishnaraja Wadiyar III, in 1830 and by 1848 it became an exclusive Anglican church. The stained glass window depicting St Bartholomew donated by Mysore Maharaja was unveiled by Lady Wellington in 1930, during the centenary celebrations of the church. Prince of Wales King George V has has offered prayers in this Church in 1906.
Another, popular church in Mysore is 148 years old Wesley Cathedral Church. The mission was first established in 1839, after Mysore King Krishnaraja Wadiyar III sold the Escort Officers Bungalow (Press Bungalow) to Wesleyans. Built in 1895, this cathedral is the head of all the Protestant churches across district. The church was named after an American Priest John Wesley.
The St Gregorios Orthodox Church in Nazarbad contains relic of St Gregorios of Parumala, who is the first saint of Malankara Orthodox Church, which is also known as the Indian Orthodox Church. In Orthodox churches they lit campfire by using Palm leaves during rituals and preserve the ashes. Another Interesting part is in Orthodox churches is they use log strip of red coloured and not a crucified Christ.
Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Martealli Church.
St Joseph Church in PG Pally
Martalin Church In Kollegal.