Sunday, January 17, 2010

Father’s Day: It’s origin


Father’s Day is a celebration to honor and show our gratitude to our father. This concept is new in India. While Father’s Day is not our culture, most of the people who live in metropolitan cities and bigger towns are exposed to this westernised culture and celebrate Father’s Day.
According to history, seeing the Mother’s Day celebrations, Sonora Smart Dodd of USA thought of celebrating Father’s Day in Spokane, Washington. After her mother died, her father William Jackson Smart looked after her very well and in the eyes of his daughter he was a courageous, selfless and loving man.
She also wanted her father to know how special he was to her. Sonora’s father was born in June, so she chose to hold the first Father’s Day celebration in Spokane, Washington on the 19th of June, 1910. But in 1972, a permanent national observance was established and the government proclaimed every third Sunday of June as Father’s Day.
On Father’s Day, several cultural societies arrange cultural programmes to inspire children to pay respect and take care of their dad.
Father’s Day has become hugely popular. Children express their gratitude and love with a lot of charm and with an enthusi-asm thank fathers and pay tribute to their love. Children give gifts to their fathers like cards, flowers, neckties, dining in restaurants or going out for a picnic or movie, staying the whole day with father, being obedient.
Some tips to celebrate Father’s Day
Ask questions about his birth, childhood and what he did when he was a teenager. Find out his favorite subjects in school, most embarrassing moment and favorite holiday. Question him on his: favorite color, movie, candy bar, color of toothbrush, memorable moment with you, best friend, hobby, talent, food, animal, cartoon, pizza topping, ice cream topping, restaurant.
“My father is a strength for me. When you are around me, I feel my life is beautiful, thank you Papa, for everything”, says Padma.
“Dad, I like to thank you for having you as my father. You are the world for me. You have taught me everything in a special way and you have brightened my life each day. You are my hero dad. I love you. Happy Fathers Day”, says Narayan.
“I don’t have a dad to celebrate Father’s Day. When my father wanted me to be near him, I was far from him; when I started looking after him, he passed away. I miss him very much”, says an unfortunate son.
“My father may feel that I just don’t care him and obey him. I have spoken rudely many times. Forgive me for what ever I do, you are my best friend papa”, Happy Father’s Day”, says Manju.
[Sunday 15th June 2008]

No comments:

Post a Comment