Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Meet Mysore's first women magician


If provided with suitable opportunities women can excel in any field, especially those considered to be only bastion for males. Around two years ago, 34-yea

r-old Suma Rajkumar decided to do something in life, instead of idling away time and started to learn ventriloquism and later magic, thereby becoming the city’s first woman magician to learn magic and the second in the State after magician Indushree.

Having done her graduation in Hindi, Suma was very passionate since her childhood to write poems, alongside winning in fancy dress, debate and extempore competitions. During her spare time she makes various objects using waste objects.

Suma who has bagged several awards for her magic performances, is married with two children who too are good sports persons. She is thankful for the support and encouragement provided by her family and friends. Having a soothing voice she feels that she has an edge over other magicians in mesmerizing the audience.

Speaking to Express she said `I underwent 10 months of intense training in ventriloquism and basic magic under the guidance of Jadugara Guruswamy and I have already given more than 150 performances all over Karnataka. Whatever I do, I prefer it to do perfectly with the intention of providing good entertainment to the audience.'

`The only difficulty I encounter during my shows is while pronouncing some Kannada letters though I can manage to speak most of it well. If girls come forward to learn magic, I will be very happy to teach them as most of them are not inclined to learn magic or ventriloquism”, says Suma, who is a resident of Basaveshwara Road in Mysore.

In future she dreams to become learn new techniques and educate the masses in social issues through her magicians

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ms. Rathna,

    Thank you for this post. I have been looking for a Ventriloquist in Mysore and this article helps me a lot. We run a music institute in Mysore and as part of one of its programmes we were looking to engage the services of a Ventriloquist. It would be very kind of you if you can assist me in getting the contact details of Ms. Suma Rajkumar or at least assist me with the sources who can help me reach her.

    Awaiting your response. You may write to me at bharathnagendra@gmail.com. Request you to kindly help us with this.

    Thanks

    Regards
    Bharath Nagendra

    ReplyDelete