Friday, May 27, 2011

She is the only women football coach from Mysore

Sports should be kept free from politics, says Ramini
Even today most women shy away from sports thinking it is too manly and not suited for their constitution. But here is a woman who has created her own niche by becoming a football coach.

41-year-old Dr Ramani is the first woman football coach from Mysore. So far she has trained several budding football players, while at the same time bagging several awards, trophies and cash prizes in various tournaments held all across the State and over the country. Having done doctorate in Physical Education, she has represented the State several times in football games.

She began coaching women football players in 2004 and even imparts training to boys during college vacations at the University Grounds. Presently she is working as a Physical Trainer at the Government College for Women, Mandya, coaching students not only to play football but also various other games.

Sharing her experience with Express Ramani said `Since my childhood I was crazy about football. When I was seven, I went to stadium to watch football in Bangalore. Observing my keen interest in the game, one Sampath of Sai Coaching allowed me to play football. I played my first tournament when I was in 8th standard and I got selected to play in the Junior National football game held for the first time at Kurukshetra in 1984. We won the game in a tie breaker and ended runners up.’

‘After completing my graduation, I did my Doctorate in Bangalore University. Because of the constant encouragement and support I received from my parents and later from my husband, I continued playing football which finally became my profession,’ she added. Incidentally her husband Nadialagan is the Chairman of the Department of Physical Education and Sports Center at Mysore.

`Most of us feel that football is always a male oriented game and cannot be played by girls. But with determination, a woman can prove that she too is capable of achieving anything like the male’ observed Ramani in response to the lack of interest shown by the girls towards the game.

`Most parents don’t encourage their children to become sports persons. Only few parents, who are themselves sports persons, allow their children to engage in sports. This mindset should change and more children should be allowed to take up sports,’ said Ramani offering her suggestion to popularize sports related activities among students.

`Parents and institutions should encourage children to come out and play games more often instead of forcing them to pursue only academics. Playing games, improves the mental faculties of a child, boosts confidence, with the additional benefit of keeping him/her fit and healthy.’

`In these times one should not completely be lost in playing competitions and tournaments. After having participated 20 times in national level games and one time in International level, I realized that if I continue to simply play, I won’t get a job and so switched over to academics becoming a PT Instructor,’ she said candidly about the pitfalls of merely playing the game.

`Sports should be kept free from politics. While in sports played by individuals it is tolerable, but in games played by a team, bringing in politics is very bad. During selection of team members to play in matches, most club members use their influence and clout to disqualify talented persons,’ she said remorsefully.

-------------------
eom/mys/rathna

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my daughter is interested in learning football. Can you please share ramani madam no. Thanks

    ReplyDelete