Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Down the memory lane....

Wodeyar loved 'Kuttavalaki' 



The last scion of royal family Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar was relishing eating Kuttavalaki. This was disclosed by 86 year-old woman Shushelammam, a close associate of Wodeyar family.



When I was 13 year old, I got married with MN Seetharamaswamy and came to Mysore. My father in-law Nanjunda Shastri was very close to Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar family. The day Narasimharaja Wodeyar had born, I had been to palace. Wodeyar was shown to us keeping in the Bamboo Mora."
"His every stage of growth in life went off in front of my eyes. He was appreciating Kuttavalaki prepared by me. He had even carried Kuttavalaki, kudubale, chetnipudi to foreign."



"Once, he asked me to teach how Kutavalaki is prepared to his friends, who had come to Palace from Ooty and Kerala. They dint knew Kannada. When I said, I don't know Malayalam, Tamil, the Wodeyar himself took keen interested and translated the recipe of Kuttavalaki in their mother tongue," added Sushelamma with tears in eyes.



The Wodeyar was some time addressing me as 'Sushella', with his polite, soft voice. My daughter Vijaya and Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar sister Vishalakshi were studying together in Good Shepherd convent.
I had even witnessed the death of Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar and had participated in the 12th day rituals of Jayachamrajendra Wodeyar, she rued.
----------------------
I have to ask my father !
More than thousand students had asked Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar to distribute Banana for entire college, when he won the election for representing the classroom at Maharaja Degree college. For this, the Wodeyar had replied “I have to ask my father”, said sources.
------------------
Wodeyar, a man of simplicity
Wodeyar's friend K Vasudevamurthy reminiscing the college days, said that though there was special seating arrangements for Wodeyar, he used to sit with common man.
"A five box carrier for lunch was sent for Wodeyar from home. He used to have the food sitting in Prof KBY Thotappa chamber."
"After leaving his sister Kamakshi and Meenakshi to Maharani's college, he was coming to college. After college hours, he used to accompany his sisters wayback to home."
Recently, when I visited the palace accompanied with my children we recalled the college days. He gave biscuits, coffee to my children, he added.   

No comments:

Post a Comment